Monday, August 29, 2011

Boomerang Kids....

Too Much Love is To Hate
     For the last several years I cannot not remember being seriously ill. Either I am a sort of super human freak or can say that the plethora of Army inoculations have set me up for a relatively sick free life. I personally believe it is because I let my immune system build up to a point that it can deal with many of the sicknesses going around today. I am hygienic and use soap and water after using a latrine but you still will not find me with a bottle of disinfectant sanitizing anything.
      I remember seeing a parent walking around spraying down the toys with a sort of iodine solution at a day care once. Unless this child has a unique sickness that negates a normal immune system he would have been completely fine. The Almighty made us in a way were we can defend ourselves against these sickness to a certain degree. On a more physical and psychological arena parents do the same with children, teens, and sadly enough adults. They sanitize and lay out a beaten path for children to follow that turns them into weak adults who often cannot handle the rigors of a tough world.
It wouldn’t be me to say that parents should not mentor or develop their children to live a life of value or exist without morals, since in truth that is what a mother and father should do. But to really believe that nurturing a child so much would help them in a cutthroat is absolute insanity.
One thing we can look at in the school system today is the recent unfortunate suicides by teens who were bullied. What made these children believe that the only sure route to save any dignity was to take their own lives? I remember being bullied a few times and only a few times for a reason. I stood up for myself. That did not always mean going into a physical fight, but the ability to show that I was less weak than the person doing the shoving. These kids today are taught and believe any form of physical confrontation is unhealthy while the parents and educators have a complete ability to protect them from harm and danger. The inability to stand up to wrong or evil has become a generational trait today.
     It is said that when you spare the rod you spoil the child. I heard a rabbi once say that every time he doesn’t show tough love to his child he puts money into a jar, not to send the child to college but to bail him out of jail when the time comes. If the child doesn’t end up with a record of dealing with the justice system you can expect him to end back in his old room he grew up in. Who can really blame him since it is much easier than living in a wrong where you have to push hard to accomplish anything worthwhile.
     I know that at times having a UH-60 or CH-47 is good to have flying over head. If things got to bad we could always egress to fight another day. But nevertheless if they weren’t able to extract my teammates and I in a many number of fashions, I had the confidence in my ability to sustain myself until the problem had passed. I have never been a parent, but when the time comes I can draw on the role models I had on my life. I will guide and teach a child but cannot see myself direct every steps so as to make him weak and unsustainable. And in the end my love will not lead him to the electric chair.

No comments:

Post a Comment