Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Healthy Tensions


        I recently started reading the Satires by Juvenal and so far what I can come up with is that the author was either very, very jaded and cynical or he actually knew what a great thing Rome was in the past and was watching it crumble before his eyes. Apparently the same sensational materialism along with licentious acts were the determining factor of a person’s worth when before it was virtue and being part of something greater that any one person by himself. If you are wondering who Juvenal is, think of the ‘bread and circuses’ quote said by many pundits. He is the one that first said it as far as calling out a society on there moral immaturity.

In this we can see the greatest propagator of mockery in a republic is the people, but I would like to place, at least half of the blame, on the elected leadership. Alexis de Tocqueville was amazed in 1831 when he saw that “people authored their own laws’, or in a sense had a very public discourse with the people they chose to represent them. Going further into this idea, Bastiat said that a person should vote for the whole society and not just for their own needs or personal desires. Taking those two great luminaries advice one can act and then come to the reality that it is often now futile to appeal elected leadership in this manner.

So a bowl of chips in from of the game console seems like the best possible solution  until a person would read more classical works, and in this case it would be the healthy tension of the mind Socrates speaks of and later on would appeal to the strategy of Dr Martin Luther King, Jr. Calling out, in a civil and open dialogue, the problems that a person sees in the very present society or culture they live in, may not bring the intended results, but at the very least it may open the eyes and ears of the elected voices living on the taxpayer dime. It can be done and again if civility is used, it is perhaps a possibility that dialogue will be opened between the people and these officials between the voting seasons. Would that not be a grand concept in such a great Republic?

Now before I go on to identify the two, I have to say that one can never legislate morality, but they can legislate the conditions for immorality to run rampant. That being said I would like to identify Representative Bruce Cozart and Senator Bill Sample as the two who received  not only my vote, but a kind and well thought letter identifying simply that a public educator should not be allowed to pursue a relationship with a student  at their taxpayer funded schools. As far as I know, any parent would not appreciate their child going to school for any other main reason than to gain an education. Or at least what passes for one in this state. Representative Cozart actually was or is on a school board so I had assumed that he would at least be concerned.

Well, being that it struck me that this could now be a possibility in Arkansas I took my initiative as a concerned citizen and vote to address this matter. One may write to affirm themselves in some empty acknowledgement from these officials, but I honestly figured it is a moral duty to address these issues. I also wrongly assumed that I would at the very least get a post-it note back with “Letter Received” on it to let me know that my voice was worth a vote in the next election. Of course this is wishful thinking that only exists in a silly book like Democracy in America, since no one really cares about liberty and freedom in the correct sense.

For the readers interests, I am going to attach both of the letters to this incompetent writing. As for me, I am going to enjoy a loaf of bread before I stumble into the Barnum and Bailey tent for the show.


Dated 9 June, 2012




 Representative Cozart,

I am composing this letter which I consider utmost importance. As a concerned citizen and voter, I attempt to stay attuned to local, state and national politics as well as various court decisions that directly affect me or the people that I am concerned for. To wait for an event that is derogatory to me personally without any concern for the general welfare of others shows a true lack of charity and as Alexis de Tocqueville said it best, “…a true beginning to despotic rule.” 

With that being said, the matter I am referring to is the Arkansas Supreme Court vs. Paschal on the matters of a public educator pursuing a relationship with a student.  It is allowed without and criminal charges if the said student is above the age of eighteen. I have just composed a letter to Senator Sample as well as the Attorney’s General McDaniel in hopes of bringing this matter to the House and Senate floor for legislation as well as possible judicial action. Even though I claim to watch political activity, I must confess I am still ignorant on the rules and accords that pertain to Arkansas government and the manner in which new legislation is presented. I can believe however that when an evident injustice occurs or redress is required on laws that are written and revised that elected officials such as yourself are the persons to address in a respectful and frank tone. 

By not enacting laws that protect the students and children that are for a short time entrusted to the State’s care, we are heading down a path of complete demise. Even here in Hot Springs, we have had an educator that was fired and charged with an improper relationship with a young female student. The only difference between him and the above stated offender Paschal, is a couple of years difference in the student’s age. By not setting a tone that this type of behavior is wrong in every sense, we affirm those who lack the moral integrity to use their positions of influence for the greater good. We see in throughout the country on a daily basis of teachers seeking sexual relationships with students or in the worst cases outright assault.  

From your bio listed, like many other elected leaders, you fancy yourself in the best concerns for the welfare of students and children. Yet this problem I have addresses has received little attention and even when I have written leaders, there has been little response. Also our elected leaders are people of faith, that is to say that the attend a morally and spiritually sound congregation that admonishes the type of behavior discussed, and even yesterday in front of the State Capital building we had a religious freedom rally that some elected officials were more than apt to address the audience, and yet the very religious freedom that would allow solid moral clarity is not being put forth in the House or Senate; every law pertains to fiscal financial matters while modernism and relative beliefs seep into our state and culture.

I ask you to further pursue this matter in the best possible means that is accomplished within government procedures. Thank you for your time and I look forward to a timely response.




And we have Senator Bill Sample that actually got two, but for the purposes of this blog I will only post the the second letter.

Senator Sample,

As a concerned  registered voter, I decided to write you a letter two months ago referring to the Arkansas Supreme Court’s ruling on whether or not a public school educator is allowed to pursue a sexual relationship with a student given they are above the age of eighteen. Further follow up on social media, you replied that the issue regarding future legislation would be addressed at the next session. I understand that you are busy but the inability of a Senator to return correspondence to a concerned voter who addresses such a strong issue or actually truly cares about the community and state he lives in is the very reason many loose faith in the political process. Do we have to wait for election season for that particular person and discuss the concerning social issues as bumper stickers are being passed out or can we continue to rely on the fact that a representative democracy does work and that our voices will be heard?

Like I have stated, I follow the Senate sessions as much as possible, not for the issue I am addressing, but to keep a clear and concise notion that out elected leaders are doing their jobs. The measures and bills that are written in volume are nothing short of phenomenal and for this I applaud you. However, the current state of affairs with the economy lead the notion that everything revolves around state fiscal budgets, and to a degree it does, but the social issues are going to bring us down as a state and as a country. I am sure that you are aware of the ruling of Arkansas v Paschal  that determined that an educator can be found of no criminal charges if the student he or she is pursuing a relationship with is above the age of eighteen. It is still unclear if the state will seek a rehearing or that state legislature will pursue new laws against this kind of conduct. 

So as it stands now, a teacher that is paid by tax dollars, cannot be criminalized for pursuing a sexual relationship with a student entrusted to his or her care. You do not have to look far to understand or be aware of the power a person of authority has over an impressionable person. It seems the factor here is the age; even in my old high school a teacher was recently fired and charged with sexual relations , or the pursuit of relations, with a student. The only difference from him and Paschal is the age of the student. Again, it is the social issues that are going to break up. The show of Senate sessions leads me to believe that our elected leadership is out of touch with the wrongs that are happening on a public level. Just today there was a assembly of people in front of the capital expressing disdain of the HHS Mandate and the intrusion on religious liberty and some senators rightfully spoke at this event. However, the pursuit of universal morals that faith brings seems to be a far reaching endeavor of our leaders if it does not include favorable public opinion. 

I apologize if this letter seems over critical or that my ignorance may have led me to be haste on addressing such an issue. I have voted for you in the past and will continue to do so as long as you choose to remain in office. Thank you for your time and letting me voice my concerns as a citizen.








No comments:

Post a Comment